Friday, March 27, 2009

My Virtual Talks

This semester I have been recording my classes for the benefit both of enrolled students who miss a lecture or want to review one and unenrolled students who want to follow along at a distance. I use an Olympus WS-110, a tiny digital recorder that I can plug into my computer's USB port when I want to upload the recordings to the web. The recorder is on loan from my university, but I may eventually buy one; it's a useful gadget and not terribly expensive. The two classes I am teaching this semester are Economic Analysis of Law and Analytic Methods for Lawyers; the links are to the recordings and the photographs of the whiteboard that accompany them.

Since I have the recorder, I decided I should also record my public lectures, starting with two that I gave last week in Oregon.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any chance you could post the syllabi you use for both classes?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for making these available!

David Friedman said...

The class web pages, which have links to syllabi and other stuff, are:

http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Academic/Course_Pages/analytical_methods_09/Analytical_Methods_2009.html

and

http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Academic/Course_Pages/L_and_E_LS_09/Law_and_Econ_09.html

Ricardo Cruz said...

Oh, thank you so much! I've been learning some economics on my own; going through your Price Theory textbook at the moment, and I'll definitively be checking out your lectures.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Thank you for these lectures! As an undergrad halfway across the country, these lectures are so valuable to me.

Thanks to the internet (and your willingness), i'm getting a high priced lecture at my fingertips.

thank you so much.

Anonymous said...

I thought this and similar Olympus recorders do not record in mp3. An Amazon review confirms this. Is yours recording in mp3 or are you converting?

David Friedman said...

Anonymous asks about recording format. My recorder does not record in MP3; I'm converting to that format on my desktop.